March 27, 2002
Recommendations to Law Enforcement Agencies
Here are some recommendations we suggest to avoid violation of religious rights
of Muslims and to establish better relationships:
- Know more about Islam. Invite Muslim scholars and speakers to teach the
Agents about Islam and Muslim lifestyle. Muslims can teach better and it will
establish friendly relationships with Muslims.
- Respect Muslim women’s right to cover and not to be touched by male Agents.
- Do not ask a Muslim to spy on other Muslims. It violates Islamic principle
of ‘no spying’ and is taken as an insult.
- Be mindful of the five daily prayer times. Do not go to a Muslim house expecting
prompt response during prayer times. They may be praying and therefore cannot
answer the door.
- Avoid racial profiling. Just because someone has long beard does not mean
that he will be a terrorist. Incidents where an individual is ‘questioned’
only because of appearance will lead to further mistrust on Law Enforcement
- Respect the Quran. It cannot be thrown on the floor or stepped on. It is
a major insult to Muslims.
- Avoid discriminatory questions. eg. Does not your Koran teach violence / hate / intolerance?
Note: This is not a comprehensive list. We will keep updating this list based
on reports of violations.